Sci-fi sequel Insurgent took hold of the Australian box office over the weekend.
Starring Shailene Woodley and Theo James, the sequel to Divergent, grossed $4.12 million for its opening weekend.
Kids film Home, featuring the voices of Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory), Rihanna and Steve Martin was second with $2.8 million, according to figures released by the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia.
It clearly fenced in Shaun The Sheep, which was ninth on its opening weekend with $189,569.
Focus, starring Margot Robbie and Will Smith, was third ($1.1 million) followed by The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel ($1.07 million).
The latest action film from Liam Neeson Run All Night missed its mark, taking just $760,000 for its opening weekend to come in 5th.
Tim Burton’s Big Eyes, starring Amy Adams and Oscar winner Christoph Waltz, about painter Margaret Keane debuted at No.10 ($159,170).
TOP 10 FILMS FOR THE WEEKEND OF MARCH 19-22
1. Insurgent (Entertainment One) – 4,124,378
2. Home (Fox) – 2,803,615
3. Focus (Warner Bros) – $1,104,322
4. The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox) – $1,074,627
5. Run All Night (Warne Bros) 760,281
6. Chappie (Sony) – $650,401
7. Kingsman: The Secret Service (Fox) – $445,815
8. Fifty Shades of Grey (Universal) – $208,295
9. Shaun The Sheep (Studio Canal) – $189,569
10. Big Eyes (Roadshow) – $159,170 (Source: Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia)