Every dollar spent in the Lindt Cafe on the first anniversary of the Sydney siege will be donated to charity.
It’s been a year since the dramatic siege which claimed the lives of cafe manager Tori Johnson and barrister Katrina Dawson.
Funds raised at the Martin Place cafe on Tuesday will be donated to the Katrina Dawson Foundation and Beyond Blue, the charity chosen by Tori Johnson’s family.
CEO of Beyond Blue Georgie Harman said around $340,000 has already been donated to Mr Johnson’s memorial fund since December last year.
“Every single dollar that people donate, whether it is ten bucks or a hundred thousand, is going to help other people who are struggling,” Ms Harman told AAP on Tuesday.
“The latest gift that will come through from the takings of the Martin Square cafe today is extremely welcomed.”
Ms Harman said the cafe would split the proceeds between the two charities nominated by the victims’ families.
Mr Johnson was shot dead by gunman Man Haron Monis and Ms Dawson, a barrister and mother of three, was killed in a spray of bullets which ended the siege in the early hours of December 16.
Ms Dawson’s family said they have been overwhelmed by the extraordinary support and generosity of people throughout Australia and the world.
“Whilst nothing can replace the void that Katrina’s death has brought to our lives, the warmth of those many voices of support has helped us enormously on the darkest of days,” the family said in a statement.
Ms Harman said Tuesday’s Lindt Cafe donation would help Beyond Blue’s 24-hour support service assisting mental health counsellors talking to those struggling.
A candlelight memorial ceremony will be held in Martin Place on Tuesday evening.
Lindt Australia CEO Steve Loane said he wanted to thank Sydneysiders and everyone who had been supportive in the past year.
“I also want to pay tribute to the team at Lindt who have shown remarkable strength and resilience over these last 12 months,” he said in a statement on Tuesday.